[Tutorial]Flashing the firmware on Nokia N900
Tested and working fine on windows XP machine.. So i advice u to try it on winxp machine at ur own risk..
- Download and install the latest version of Flasher (e.g. maemo_flasher-3.5_184.108.40.206.exe).
- Download the latest firmware (.bin) file and save to ‘c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5\’
- Fully charge the battery.
- Unplug charger and switch off the device.
- Open the command prompt on XP. Start + Run. Type cmd and press Enter.
- Change directory to the flasher program
cd "c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5"
- Connect the USB cable while pressing ‘u’ key on the N900 (The detailed procedure of connecting the N900 is here).
- Turn off Maemo device
- Press and hold down key ‘u’
- Connect USB cable between Maemo device and host PC while holding down key ‘u’
- When USB cable gets connected it powers Maemo device and set’s it to flashing mode
- When USB icon appears on right upper corner Maemo device is in flashing mode
- You can release key ‘u’
- Run the following command:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
The update will take about 4 minutes after which the N900 will reboot and display the Welcome screen with Regional settings.
You may experience problem if you are running windows seven/vista. You will have to flash the device in xp mode under Seven x64 and it will work perfectly.
The other methods of updating firmware is
1.Through Nokia software updater(PC SUITE)
2.Through Seamless software update(FOTA)